Thursday, March 12, 2009

Enterovirus

This picture is actually from the the 13th. I didn't have any pics from the 12th and i didn't post on the 13th so i went ahead and added this one here. he looks so skinny here. You can really see the progression of his weight loss and now gain by looking at the pics,  I think.


Okay, so sorry I didn't update last night. We got home from hospital around 10:30 and I was so tired and still had to pump. So I went straight to sleep after finishing all that! I am trying to take a nap with the girls in the afternoon, but it is still so tiring! He looks so much better because he doesn't have anything on his face anymore! He just has his PIC line in his head and they removed the tube in his throat. We did find out some new things yesterday. In the beginning of all this stuff with his bowels, they sent off stool samples to test for different bacterial and viral infections. Well, they had all caome back negative except 2 that were still pending and they came back yesterday. One was negative and theother was postivie for ENTEROVIRUS. This is a broad family of viruses from what I have been told and can affect different areas of your body, such as bowels, respitory, etc... Obviously this is affecting his bowels. It has a lot of the same symptoms as NEC and the treatment will be the same; 10-14 days of bowel rest and he will stay on his antibiotics. We are now on day 6 of bowel rest. They did a lumbar puncture on him yesterday to make sure its not affecting other areas. They did that while me and mom were there (we stepped out of the room) and then I got to hold him!!! He hadn't been held in 3 days due to his low white blood cell count. He was awake the whole time! This is the first time I had seen his eyes wide open. The lumbar showed that his spinal fluid was clear and the test came back good. We went back last night and Hunter and I got to hold him again and of course I went this morning. So we are still waiting and praying that he heals and that the feedings go well when the time comes. His weight is down to 7lb 5oz. This should level off and slowly start gaining back even while on bowel rest. Thank you so much for your concern and prayer!!

"This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him. For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease."
Ps. 91:2-3

Staci

No comments:

Post a Comment