Saturday, March 7, 2009

Looking like NEC


This pic is from yesterday morning. Things are looking quite differently now! He has a lot of different things hooked up now and some of these have been removed. However, pictures are fun and I always like to see them when I look at other peoples blogs. So here is one!


Okay, I just called the nurse to check on Hudson. We were going to go up there tonight, but I am not feeling very well. I have had a headache all day and I don't think I'm healing quite as fast as I usually do. I guess normally at this point after having a baby I haven't even gotten out of the bed much and now I am going back and forth so I am walking a lot more. So tonight I decided to stay at mom's and rest and Hunter is going up there to check on him for me. :) Also, I want to thank Ken and Sherri Shaw (from our church) for going up there tonight to prayer over my sweet baby. Hunter is meeting them there. This means so so much to me!


The nurse said that they have been sucking a lot of fluid off his belly all day so they went ahead and put him on a suction tube. I guess this has replaced the tube that he did have. She said it intermently sucks all the fluid off his belly and any gas as well. This fluid is normal stuff that you produce like mucus and stomach acid or whatever, but since his tummy is sick it not digesting and therefore just sitting in his tummy. Which they do not want it to go farther than his tummy anyway, since he is on bowel rest. So this should get it out before it passes through his bowels. Also, his lips were peeling so badly this morning when I was there and she said now they are treating him for "thrush". This is normal since he has been on an antibiotic for a while. She said it is not in his mouth just on his lips so they are treating it with Nystatin. It is basically yeast, I think. I have had friends whose babies had this when on antibiotics, so I'm not too worried about that. I asked her something about the milk allergy (I can't remember now) and she said at this point its looking like an infection not the milk protein allergy. I asked what kind of infection and she said NEC. So I told her what I had read on the link that I posted earlier about NEC and asked if we were looking at a "NEC scare" which is treadted with bowel rest or just full blown NEC where the bowel starts to die and surgery must be performed to remove the dead part. She said we are definitely looking at a "NEC scare" because they have caught it so early that the xrays are not even showing any signs. So I said "the antibiotics should knock this out for sure and it shouldn't get any worse". She said yes, the thing is we don't know how long he will have to be on the antibiotics. She said it could be 7 days, sometimes 14, and sometimes even 21! So please be in prayer for a FULL and fast recovery. I don't know at what point they would start feeding him again. But once they start we will still be looking at going through that whole process of bottle feedings going well enough to move to the breast and then breast feeding going well. Which is at least about a weeks time. So I don't know when this will ever end, and I don't really care how long it takes as long as my baby continues to get better and we have no more surpises and setbacks!!! Some good news is as soon as they saw that his belly was distended yesterday they immediately began giving him the antibiotic to treat NEC. So he has already been on it for a day and if thats what it is they have caught it so early.
Thank you so much for all the prayers! That is the most important thing we can ask of you all right now. To be there for us through your prayer support. We love you, thank you for all for loving our family so much!!!


A verse Ken shared with Hunter tonight:
Romans 8:18
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory that is to be revealed to us.




Staci

4 comments:

  1. we are praying for hudson, you, hunter, and the girls!! let me know if i can help with anything!! love yall!!!! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to hold that little burger. He is precious. We love you and you KNOW we are praying for a speedy recovery for you and Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is adorable. We love you guys and are praying often!

    ReplyDelete